What are you doing to increase your vocabulary? How are you reviewing and remembering new words? You need a strategy for learning, remembering and using them.
Did you know that studies suggest that you need to actually use a word 8 times before it becomes part of your vocabulary? How are you ensuring that you do that?
In particular words from the Academic Word List will be useful to you. Learn the base word and the common forms. Use them!
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the different forms if they seem to be different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- We’re spending too much money, we need to _______________. (economy)
- The government is more concerned about finances than about _______________ considerations. (environment)
- Many words are _______________ over time and take on very different meanings. (define)
- A lot of words in English are _______________ from Latin and Greek. (derive)
- Supermarkets have large ______________ networks. (distribute)
1. ECONOMISE 2. ENVIRONMENTAL 3. REDEFINED 4. DERIVED 5. DISTRIBUTION