Have you thought much about collocations? Collocations are words that often go together (co-locate). When you learn new words, it’s useful to write a sentence with the word and to note any words that the target words often go with.
Eg. role play / role model / section off / section of / similar to
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
IELTS Vocabulary – Academic Word List
1. What is your ______________ on the committee? (role)
- What _______________ of the test is easiest for you? (section)
3. Would you prefer a job in the private _______________ or with the government? (sector)
4. Her results were _______________ better after completing the IELTS course. (significant)
5. Do you think TOEFL and IELTS are _______________ to one another? (similar)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
- similar 3. sector 2. section 1. role 4. significantly