Are you noting collocations when you learn a new word? You should be noting which words often go together.
Eg. constructive comment, construction workers, credit transfer, give credit, culturally appropriate, cultural practices, culture shock
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
IELTS Vocabulary – Academic Word List
- One ______________ of 9/11 was an increase of security worldwide. (consequence)
- _______________ workers in some countries are very poorly paid. (construct)
- Sugar _______________ has increased dramatically in the last 100 years. (consume)
- The _______________ for the college was renewed just last year. (credit)
- When you move to another country there is always a period of _______________ shock. (culture)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
5. culture 3. consumption 2. Construction 1. consequence 4.accreditation