Are you noting collocations when you learn a new word? You should be noting which words often go together.
Eg. designer clothes, distinct way of (verb)ing, to equate (something) with (something), equal pay, equivalent to, equally problematic,
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- She ______________ her own websites. (design)
- He received _______________ in all of his subjects at university. (distinct)
- There are several _______________ to success including good planning. (element)
- $100 Australian dollars is _______________ to around $97 Singapore dollars. (equate)
- Many workers receive an _______________ each year. (evaluate)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
5. evaluation 3. elements 2. distinction 1. designs 4. equivalent