Watching documentaries is a good way to practice listening. You’ll hear a good range of vocab. I watched a Hans Rosling video the other evening. He’s a very entertaining speaker. The topic was world population growth. You should listen – entertaining and educational! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJATiIhFaCE
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
normally (+ pronoun – normally he, normally they), obtain permission, participation rate, perception of, imperceptible change, positive result
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- A 6 or 6.5 is ______________ enough to enter a university to study an undergraduate degree. (normal)
- Did you _______________ permission to take leave from work next week? (obtain)
- _______________ rates were very low in last month’s test. (participate)
- What is your_______________ of the new government? (perceive)
- The new movie was received very _______________ . (positive)
Answers (in the wrong order below
5. positively 3. Participation 2. obtain 1. normally 4. perception