Learning the Academic Word List is going to help to improve your English communication.
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
regional towns/areas, geographic region, banking deregulation, relevant information, residence requirements, well-resourced, under-resourced
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- ______________ television and radio stations are disappearing as the big multi-nationals take over the media. (region)
- The new _______________ at work require that all women wear dresses past their knees. (regulation)
- A _______________ feature of your ability to play basketball is your height. (relevant)
- If you live overseas, you can be a _______________ of your own country for tax purposes.(resident)
- He can survive anything; he is very _______________ . (resource)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
5. resourceful 3. relevant 2. regulations 1. Regional 4. non-resident (possibly – resident)