Are you using any new words from these lists in your speaking? In your writing? You should be!
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are: restricted area, secure area, security guard, tied securely, securely closed, seek advice, a select few,
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- 1. Some areas are ______________ to members only. (restrict)
- I don’t know how the burglar got in; all of the doors and windows were _______________ closed. (secure)
- If you don’t know what do to, you should _______________ advice. (seek)
- There’s a great _______________ of phones at the new shop.(select)
- The _______________ of the crime has been roped off by police. (site)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
- site 3. seek 2. securely 1. restricted 4. selection