So far we’ve looked at 24 sets of 5 words; that’s 120 words. How many words did you know? What are you doing to learn the new ones? What about the different forms? Are you familiar with them too?
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are: strategic plan, strategically targeted, land survey, family tradition, text message, cultural tradition, traditional approach, traditional song/dance/recipe,
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- A lot of advertising is ______________ targeted at children. (strategy)
- He _______________ the job vacancies, but couldn’t find anything. (survey)
- _______________ messaging is probably more common today than phone calls. (text)
- Australia is a fairly young country and thus doesn’t really have any _______________ clothes. (tradition)
- She _______________ the money yesterday. (transfer)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
- transferred 3. text 2. surveyed 1. strategically 4. traditional