How are you going with your vocab development? Do you enjoy learning new words? Or is it a chore? Do you have a systematic approach?
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
reconvene at, coordinated plan, core principles, core skills, corporate takeover, correspond to/with
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- The morning session has been quite long; the meeting will ______________ after lunch at 2:30. (convene)
- Children below about 10 years of age are often quite _______________ ; they have trouble with fine motor skills. (coordinate)
- 3. Listening, speaking, reading and writing are _______________ literacy skills. (core)
- Many people believe that large _______________ are also large tax avoiders. (corporate)
- When you translate from one language to another, sometimes there isn’t a direct _______________ between the words and meanings. (correspond)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
- Correspondence 3. core 2. uncoordinated 1. reconvene 4. corporations