Are you learning all the different forms of the new vocabulary you come across?
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
can’t emphasise enough, emphatically deny, ensure that, exclusion zone, exclusive deal, funding committee
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- I can’t ______________ enough the need for you to have a strong vocabulary. (emphasis)
- Please _______________ that you don’t being your phone into the exam room. (ensure)
- Some hotels have _______________ deals for members. (exclude)
- To build an online course, you need a well constructed _______________ of activities.(framework)
- Climate change research and measures seem to be _______________ in some countries. (underfunded)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
5. underfunded 3. exclusive 2. ensure 1. emphasise 4. framework