Are you going back and checking words that you learnt a few days and weeks ago? You need to keep reviewing until you are confident that you know the word.
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
immigration law/policy, implicit in that is, initial response
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- The ______________ in children’s books are often very colourful. (illustrate)
- _______________ policy is changing quickly in some countries. (immigrate)
- The Australian government is not doing much about climate change; _______________ in that is that they don’t believe it is a real threat. (imply)
- Her _______________ response was one of disbelief. (initial)
- For _______________ , wages have not kept pace with inflation. (instance)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
5. instance 3. implicit 2. Immigration 1. illustrations 4. initial