So many new words and new forms. How will you learn them? And the answer … use them! You learn new vocabulary by using it. Make a point of using it in your writing and try to bring it in to your speaking too.
Keep a diary – write in it 3 – 4 times a week; about anything. It doesn’t matter what you write. You are the only one who will ever see it. As well as a written diary, you need to keep a spoken diary. Take out your phone and record your thoughts for the day. Use some of the new vocab. Do this 3 – 4 times a week. Your written diary should be for 15 – 20 mins a day. Your spoken diary should be for 3 – 5 mins a day.
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
interact with, interactive device, justifiable action, justifiably proud/upset, multi-layered, link to/with, relocate to
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- In my diplomatic work I get to ______________ with people from many different cultures.(interact)
- Do you think that a crime like theft can ever be _______________ ? (justify)
- There are so many _______________ to his deception that I can’t work out fact from fiction. (layer)
- In business it is important to make _______________ with the community.(link
- The family moved out a month ago. I think they _______________to a small town in the countryside. (locate)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
5. relocated 3. layers 2. justified 1. interact 4. links