How are you going with your spoken diary? Have you started yet? This is a good way to get speaking practice and it also helps you with thinking in English. It’s a great way to practice … and there’s no-one to judge you! Make sure you are using your phone to record your ideas and practice new vocab.
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
maximum penalty, maximise outcomes, minor problem, minority of, negative attitude, outcome driven, to partner with
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- The ______________ wage for this kind of work varies between $30 and $40 per hour.(maximise)
- A _______________ of people take advantage of discounts, but most people are fair in the way they use them. (minor)
- There is so much _______________ about the economy these days that it’s depressing. (negative)
- What was the _______________ of the court case about workers’ rights?(outcome)
- To be successful online, it is a good idea to _______________ with other businesses marketing similar products. (partner)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
5. partner 3. negativity 2. minority 1. maximum 4. outcome