The Academic Word List comprises the most common words used at a university level. You need to know them to cope at university and to do well in IELTS.
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
physical needs, a proportion of, dis-proportionate numbers/distribution, publicity for, reaction to, react to/against, reaction to/against
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- ______________ discussions can be quite boring for many people. (philosophy)
- _______________ he is in bad condition, but mentally he has remained quite positive. (physical)
- A high _______________ of university students use social media regularly. (proportion)
- Who is the _______________?(publish)
- What is your_______________ to the new legislation? (react)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
- reaction 3. proportion 2. Physically 1. Philosophical 4. publisher