English has more vocabulary than any other language. You don’t need to know it all. No-one knows it all! But you need to make sure that you know the commonly occurring words and their various forms.
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
registry office, register for, register with, rely on, organized sequentially
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- Did you ______________ for the afternoon course in linguistics?(register)
- She _______________ on her children to help around the house. (rely)
- Did he_______________ the incorrect information from the meeting minutes? (remove)
- What do you think about the student saving _______________ the government is proposing?(scheme)
- I know all of the numbers, but I don’t know the right _______________ . (sequence)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
5. sequence 3. remove 2. relies 1. register 4. scheme