Most words have several forms (nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs). It is very useful to know the different forms as this broadens your ability to understand texts and to communicate your meaning.
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
technical issues, technical reasons
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
1. I need a ______________ to look at my computer because it’s doing strange things again.(technical)
2. There are several different_______________ for writing an essay. (technique)
3. In many professions you need to keep training because _______________ is constantly changing. (technology)
4. Parking in this area usually costs $10, but if you get your ticket _______________ at one of the shops, it is free.(valid)
5. A large _______________ of oil spilled from the tanker polluting the local beaches. (volume)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
5. volume 3. technology 2. techniques 1. technician 4. validated