The words you’ll see over the next two weeks are from Sublist 4 of the Academic Word List. To improve your English and to get better results in IELTS, you need to work hard to master them.
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
access to/from/via, adequacy of, inadequacy of, apparent cause/problem, approximation of, approximate numbers
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- Pete was given ______________ to the administration area because it is relevant to his work.(access)
- In many countries welfare payments are _______________ for even basic needs. (adequate)
- The government recently released the _______________ unemployment figures. (annual)
- _______________some women don’t realise they are pregnant until the baby arrives. (apparent)
- _______________ figures for the new project amount to around $1.2 million. (approximate)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
5. Approximate 3. annual 2. inadequate 1. access 4. Apparently