You know the word ‘communicate,’ but do you know all of the forms?
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
communicate with, concentrate on, concentrated effort, confer an award, conference about/theme, contrast with,
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- 1. In the last 20 years methods of ______________have been highly influenced by social media. (communicate)
- 2. Sometimes it is hard to _______________ on study. (concentrate)
- The title of ‘Sir’ is _______________ on people who are deemed to have made an important contribution to British society. (confer)
- When sporting matches are televised, the teams involved need to wear _______________colours so that they can be distinguished easily. (constrast)
- The _______________ of the seasons is affected by climate change. (cycle)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
5. cycle 3. conferred 2. concentrate 1. communication 4. contrasting