The Academic Word List features vocabulary that is used everyday in texts and in speaking. There are 570 different word families.
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
a debate about / to debate an issue, despite this/ despite s-thing, two/three dimensional, domestic market / domestic help, emerge from, emerging markets
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- Many social issues in society are up for ______________.(debate)
- He did well in the test _______________ not having studied very hard. (despite)
- Three_______________ shapes can be hard to draw. (dimension)
- Cats were probably the first animals to be_______________. (domestic)
- When problems aren’t addressed adequately in the beginning, they tend to _______________. (emerge)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
5. re-emerge 3. dimensional 2. despite 1. debate 4. domesticated