Good vocabulary is key to good communication. Use the words from the Academic Word List to expand your vocabulary. They will increase your reading and listening comprehension and enable you to express more of your own ideas in speaking and writing.
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
error rate, ethnic cleansing, goal oriented, granting body,
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- Is it human or mechanical ______________ that is responsible for most aviation accidents?(error)
- A person’s _______________ can have a large influence on their life options. (ethnic)
- What are your _______________ for the rest of this year? (goal)
- A lot of research relies on _______________from government and industry. (grant)
- He’ll be on leave for three months; _______________ we will need to replace him with a temp. (hence)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
5. hence 3. goals 2. ethnicity 1. error 4. grants