Make sure that you are keeping a record of any new vocabulary and that you are testing yourself and learning the new words. It is useful to keep a written diary as this gives you an opportunity to use any new vocab.
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
parallel universe, parallel to, parallel with, phase in, phase out, prediction about, predict that, principal reason
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- Train lines are a classic example of things that are______________ to one another.(parallel)
- When writing an academic paper, there are several _______________ that need to be considered. (parameter)
- The new education reforms are being _______________ in over the next three years.(phase)
- Many conflicting _______________are being made about the impact of climate change. (predict)
- The _______________ reason for the education reforms is the high student absence rates. (principal)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
5. principal 3. phased 2. parameters 1. parallel 4. predictions