Sometimes the different forms of a word may have completely different meanings. The word ‘project’ is an example of this. The noun and verb are unrelated in meaning.
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
prior experience, prior appointment, unprofessional behavior, projected image, projected losses, promotional material, regime change
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
Vocabulary for IELTS 46
- He was given the job because he has ______________ experience in the area.(prior)
- The teaching _______________ is highly respected in many countries. (profession)
- _______________ losses for this year are alarming.(project)
- Have you seem the _______________material for the new Star Wars movie? (promotion)
- 5. There have been several _______________ changes and a lot of upheaval in that part of the world in the last few years. (regime)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
- regime 3. Projected 2. profession 1. prior 4. promotional