Test yourself on new vocab several times a day. It’s useful to have a little book to write new vocab. Then anytime you have a few minutes to spare, you can pull out the book, look at some words and see if you can remember the meanings. There are some good apps for this too!
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
conflict resolution, resolve a problem, resolve a crisis, water retention, retaining wall, series of, TV series with, serial killer, statistical anomaly, status symbol
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- Conflict ______________ is an important element of marriage counselling. (resolve)
- I have a mind like a sieve today, I can’t _______________ any of the information I’ve been given. (retain)
- There has been a _______________ management changes in the company in the last 12 months. (series)
- _______________are sometimes misleading. (statistic)
- Medical doctors still enjoy high _______________ in most countries. (status)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
5. status 3. series 2. retain 1. resolution 4. Statistics