The vocabulary you will see here over the next two weeks comes from Sublist 5 of the Academic Word List.
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
academic work, academic study, in academia, academically inclined, make an adjustment, make an alteration, make an amendment, make amends, have awareness, have self awareness, be self-aware, be aware of
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- Her daughter is ______________ inclined, but her two sons are more practically oriented.(academic)
- When you move to a new country, you need to make a huge social _______________. (adjust)
- She asked the dressmaker to make some _______________ to her wedding dress because she had lost weight. (alter)
- Some _______________ were recently made to the university rules and regulations regarding student attendance . (amend)
- Children don’t usually develop an _______________ of their shadow until they are about two or three years old. (aware)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
5. awareness 3. alterations 2. adjustment 1. academically 4. amendments