When using new vocabulary in a sentence remember to consider whether a noun is singular or plural. If it is plural, what is the plural form? Usually you need to add an ‘s.’
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
full capacity, challenging problems, challenged by, to compound a problem, compounding factor, in conflict with, conflicted about
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- The arena was at full ______________ .(capacity)
- Studying in a new country can be quite _______________. (challenge)
- Insurance forms have so many _______________ and so much fine print that you never really know what you are signing. (clause)
- Studying abroad is challenging, but a _______________problem can be the use of a second language. (compound)
- Many people are _______________ about issues of sexuality. (conflict)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
5. conflicted 3. clauses 2. challenging 1. capacity 4. compounding