These words are from Sublist 5 of the Academic Word List. They are the most common words used in university texts and they are common in every day communication.
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
nuclear energy, energy surplus, law enforcement, enforcement of, enforce a law, separate entity, equivalent to, equivocate about
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- A good IELTS result ______________ a student to study at a university in an English-speaking countries. (enable)
- Some houses with solar panels actually produce surplus _______________. (energy)
- When dealing with large numbers of people law _______________ is critical. (enforce)
- Twins in-utero sometimes don’t behave as separate _______________. (entity)
- IELTS 6 is _______________ to B2 on the CEFR scale. (equivalent)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
5. equivalent 3. enforcement 2. energy 1. enables 4. entities