How well do you know the five word families below? Use a dictionary to check the meanings. Write the new words in your vocab book and develop a habit of testing yourself on new vocab several times a day until you know it.
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
evolve from, expansion of, expanding horizons, expand by, expand with, medical facility, facility for
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- The ______________ from baby to adult is a long process. (evolve)
- The _______________ of the Health Sciences buildings began three months ago. (expand)
- Climate change _______________ insurance companies to greater risk than previously. (expose)
- It is an old house with an _______________bathroom. (external)
- The medical _______________ are adequately equipped to cope with most contagious outbreaks. (facility)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
5. facilities 3. exposes 2. expansion 1. evolution 4. external