Knowing one form of a word is not enough. You need to be able to recognise the relationships between words.
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
license to, licensed to, driving licence, a certain logic, logical to, think logically, marginal difference, marginal seat, medical practitioner, medical certificate, do a medical, mental issues, mental illness
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- The ______________ body requires two passport sized photos and a copy of bank statements. (licence)
- I don’t understand why we have to have so many assessments in this course. It’s _______________. (logic)
- There has been a _______________ increase in student enrolments over the lasts few semesters. (marginal)
- I have to do another _______________ because I am applying for a new contract at work. (medical)
- _______________ illness is a growing problem and is related to general life stress. (mental)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
5. Mental 3. marginal 2. illogical 1. licensing 4. medical