Remember to use the different verb forms where necessary – ing/ed/s and irregular.
Collocations: When you look up new words in a dictionary, look for words that often go together (words that are often located together). For this group of words some collocations are:
genetically modified, modified by, modifications to, monitored by, monitored for, neural network, network for, notion of, objectives for
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- If you ______________ your CV you’ll have a better chance of getting an interview. (modify)
- Email is _______________ in some workplaces. (monitor)
- 3. She _______________ extensively and built up a useful list of contacts. (network)
- People have different _______________about what climate change means for our future. (notion)
- The dual _______________ of the research were to uncover information about the mating habits of a particular species of frog and to look at the impact of its habitat on the process. (objective)
Answers (in the wrong order)
5. objectives 3. networked 2. monitored 1. modify 4. notions