Make sure you understand the words, but also make sure that you can use them. In your IELTS test, if you are not confident with a word, don’t use it!
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
orientated towards, a different perspective, precise numbers, prime number, prime candidate, psyched about, psychologically damaging, psychological factors
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- The building is ______________ to maximize sun exposure. (orient)
- From their _______________ it is a simple matter of passing the test. (perspective)
- _______________ measurement is a feature of the job. (precise)
- She is a _______________ candidate for the new therapy. (prime)
- Not only knowledge, but also _______________ factors come into play in the test situation. (psychology)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
5. psychological 3. Precise 2. perspective 1. oriented 4. prime