Some of these words and their various forms may be new to you. Remember that they are amongst the most common academic words. You should recognise them when you hear them AND you should be able to use them.
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
pursuant to, ratio of, revenue stream, revenue source, stability of,
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- The issue was ______________ through the courts and ended up costing the company a lot of money. (pursue)
- Tax is set as a _______________ of earnings. (ratio)
- He keeps applying for jobs, but gets rejection after _______________. (reject)
- A lot of the government’s _______________ comes from taxes. (revenue)
- A _______________ government is essential to the well-being of the population. (stable)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
5. stable 3. rejection 2. ratio 1. pursued 4. revenue