Make sure you are being methodical about learning new vocab. Have a vocab book and/or vocab cards. Test yourself on new vocab several times a day. Use the new words in a written and/or spoken diary.
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
styled by, substituted by, substituted for, substituted with, sustained by, sustained effort, targetted approach, target of
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- Her hair is ______________ by the most famous hairdresser in the city. (style)
- To minimise sugar consumption, sugar in some recipes is _______________ with orange juice. (substitute)
- She made a _______________ effort to improve her maths grades. (sustain)
- A burning bra is _______________ of the feminist movement of the 1960s. (symbol)
- You need to set high _______________ to ensure high achievement. (target)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
5. targets 3. sustained 2. substituted 1. styled 4. symbolic