There are 570 words in the Academic Word List (AWL). They build on the vocabulary in the General Service List (GSL). If you are at an Intermediate level or higher, you probably already know the 2000+ words in the GSL. So your next goal is to master the AWL.
When you learn new vocab, check a dictionary and make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
abstract from, abstract information, accurate information, accurately presented, acknowledgement of, aggregate of, allocation of, allocation by
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- Some mathematical concepts are a bit ______________ for younger children. (abstract)
- Is that an _______________ representation of events? (accurate)
- Was your argument _______________ ? (acknowledge)
- Together they got an _______________ of 356. (aggregate)
- How many shares were _______________ to the company? (allocate)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
5. allocated 3. acknowledged 2. accurate 1. abstract 4. aggregate