Be careful of words with different meanings. For example, ‘brief’ can mean ‘a short time’ or it can mean ‘an assignment or task.’ Check the different forms of the words.
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
to get an assignment, an assignment to, attached document, bonding agent, bonding process, brief encounter
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
- The students were given their third and final ______________ for the semester. (assign)
- The documents are _______________ . (attach)
- She is my favourite _______________. (author)
- The _______________ process between a human and a pet can be quite quick. (bond)
- The _______________ was to design a house that was self-sufficient in energy. (brief)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
5. brief 3. author 2. attached 1. assignment 4. bonding