You need to be keeping a diary. It can be a written diary or a spoken diary (phones are good for recording a spoken diary). The main purpose is to give you opportunity to use and think about new vocabulary and to give you practice in expressing your ideas.
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
incidental to, incident report, indexed to, a lot of initiative
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences. Choose the correct word and then use the correct form of the word.
- We’ve only got a short ______________ between the two meetings. (interval, instruct)
- The program comes with a lot of ______________ material, but it’s so boring to go through it all. (instruct, lecture)
- She _______________ in physics at the university. (intelligent, lecture)
- Have you _______________ the survey data into Excel yet? (interval, input)
- Some people don’t believe that animals have ______________. What do you think? (input, intelligent)
Answers (in the wrong order)
5. intelligence 3. lectures 2. instructional 1. interval 4. input