How are you going with your vocabulary development? Did you know that 25 per cent of your speaking test is based on your vocabulary use? The examiner looks at the vocab you use – is it common or a bit unusual and he/she looks at whether you are using it correctly.
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
trace elements, retrace your steps, trace amounts, transformation of, transform into, transport system, transportation of, underlies the decision, utilisation of, underutilisation of,
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences. Choose the correct word and then use the correct form of the word.
- If you ______________ your steps, you might figure out where you left your wallet. (trace, transport)
- Her ______________ from student to lecturer has been remarkable. (underlie, transform)
- A lot of thought and research _______________ the decision to relocate the business to Tasmania. (utility, underlie)
- What is the _______________ system like in Vienna? (transport, transform)
- The bus system in Brunei is not very popular, it is ______________. (trace, utilise)
Answers (in the wrong order)
5. underutilised 3. underlies 2. transformation 1. retrace / trace 4. transport / transportation