Keep your eyes on the prize. That means that you should stay focused on your goals.
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
successful adaptation, easily adapted, have to adapt, well adapted, adapted from, adult literacy, adult education, a strong advocate, advocate for, humanitarian aid, foreign aid, rely on aid, aid worker, come to someone’s aid, in aid of, television channel, change the channel, switch channel, normal channel, go through the right channels, shipping channel
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences. Choose the correct word and then use the correct form of the word.
- Do you think ______________ begins at the age of 18 or at 21? (adult, adapt)
- What was the charity run in ______________of? (channel, aid)
- Workers today need to be able to _______________quickly to change. (adult, adapt)
- Does he _______________ diet or exercise as the best method to attain fitness? (advocate, aid)
- You can get legal advice in a number of ways, but it’s best to go through the right ______________. (channel, advocate)
Answers (in the wrong order)
5. channels 3. adapt 2. aid 1. adulthood 4. advocate