What are collocations? They are words that often go together.
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
hazardous chemical, toxic chemical, agricultural chemical, all time classic, one of the classics, classic mistake, comprehensive insurance, be comprehensive, fully comprehensive, is comprised of, comprises of, try to confirm, unable to confirm, can confirm
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences. Choose the correct word and then use the correct form of the word.
- He went to a posh private school and learnt all of the ______________. (comprehensive, classic)
- Did you get ______________ of your appointment to the new position? (classic, confirm)
- The police did a _______________ search of the area. (comprehensive, comprise)
- My sister was brilliant at _______________ at school. (chemical, confirm)
- The group ______________ drums, guitar, piano, sax and a singer. (comprise, chemical)
Answers (in the wrong order)
5. comprised 3. comprehensive 2. confirmation 1. classics 4. chemistry