In the listening test you will hear a lot of synonyms. So you may know and understand the word in the question, but will you understand the same meaning, but a different word while you are listening. You need to have a wide vocabulary to do well in the listening test.
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
strongly deny, try to deny, no-one could deny, impossible to differentiate, differentiate between, dispose of, try to dispose of, be dynamic, remain dynamic, try to eliminate, take steps to eliminate, effectively eliminate
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences. Choose the correct word and then use the correct form of the word.
- These colours both look black to me, but apparently one is blue and one is black. Can you ______________ ? (deny, differentiate)
- Young people today have more _______________ income than young people in the past. (dynamic, dispose)
- 3. It was a _______________ performance. (dymanic, eliminate)
- The bankers _______________ any wrongdoing. (deny, differentiate)
- There is always risk in share trading; it can never be ______________. (dispose, eliminate)
Answers (in the wrong order)
5. eliminated 3. dynamic 2. disposable 1. differentiate 4. denied