This chart is easy to read and understand, but how can you write about it? If you write about everything, you’ll have much too much information and will waste your time in the test. You need to look at the main trends or, important ideas. What are the main things that you can see easily?
If your friend couldn’t see the chart, but was interested, what would you tell them?
Write a response, THEN check the example answer below.
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
Introduction with overview
Imagine that the person you are writing for cannot see the graph. Tell them what it’s about.
Tell the reader …
- The type of graph (bar, pie, line)
- Title and dates – (don’t use exactly the same sentence structure as question or legend)
- The scale
- An overview
Report the main information
- Use accurate numbers (eg. 11 gold medals)
- Use words like – while, whereas, in contrast to, etc. – in complex sentences to compare different aspects of the information
- Write at least 150 words.
- Use one paragraph for the introduction
- Use one to three paragraphs for the rest of the information.