Always be aware of the little details in your writing. Did you remember to put the ‘s’ on a plural noun?
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
charitable foundation, establish a foundation, without foundation, lay the foundations, span the globe, around the globe, globe trotter, every corner of the globe, lifetime guarantee, cast iron guarantee, personal guarantee, demand a guarantee, give a guarantee, social hierarchy, move up the hierarchy
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences. Choose the correct word and then use the correct form of the word.
- They laid the ______________ of the buildings on January 1, 2012. (grade, foundation)
- They gave their staff cast iron ______________ that they would still have jobs in two years time. (guarantee, foundation)
- Moving up the _______________ in a large organization can be a slow process. (globe, hierarchy)
- She’s been to so many countries; she’s a real _______________ trotter. (globe, hierarchy)
- You need high ______________to enter medicine. (guarantee, grade)
Answers (in the wrong order)
5. grades 3. hierarchy 2. guarantees 1. foundations 4. globe