The word ‘transmitted’ is often used when talking about diseases or about power. Diseases can be transmitted from one person to another. Power is transmitted from central power stations along cables to our homes.
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
transmit electronically, transmitted from, transmitted from
ultimate goal, ultimate desires, the ultimate, be unique, totally unique, by no means unique, far from unique
visible to the naked eye, totally visible, become visible, no longer visible, visible to, visible from
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences. Choose the correct word and then use the correct form of the word.
- She was shaking and quite ______________ upset by his harsh words. (transmit, visible)
- Back in the 1960s and 1970s television ______________ stopped at around 10pm every night. (visible, transmit)
- Bruce has always done a lot of _______________ work in the sports community. (voluntary, ultimate)
- It’s hard to find _______________ clothes these days, everything is mass produced. (unique, voluntary)
- We can encourage our children, but ______________ they will make their own choices in life. (unique, ultimate)
Answers (in the wrong order)
5. ultimately 3. voluntary / volunteer 2. transmission 1. visibly 4. unique