‘Minimise’ is one of many words ending in ise/ize. The American spelling is with the Z and the British spelling is with the S. Both spellings are accepted in IELTS.
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
manipulation of, manipulate by, manipulative behavior
minimum dose, minimum amount
nuclear power, nuclear device, nuclear attack
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences. Choose the correct word and then use the correct form of the word.
- The cost of installing solar panels is ______________ by a government grant in some areas. (nuclear, offset)
- Her ideas are great, but her essay is poorly ______________. (offset, paragraph)
- If you take the band-aid off quickly, you’ll _______________ the pain. (manipulate, minimise)
- Children seem to instinctively use bad behavior to _______________ their parents. (manipulate, minimise)
- ______________ accidents are a threat to the environment for thousands of kilometres around. (nuclear, paragraph)
Answers (in the wrong order)
5. Nuclear 3. minimise 2. paragraphed 1. offset 4. manipulate