‘Found’ has several meanings. It is the past of ‘find’ and it means to begin something. If you ‘found’ a company, it could mean that you were looking for it and now you know about it, but it most likely means that you started the company.
A ‘foundation stone’ is the first stone that is laid when a building is made. A ‘foundation’ can be the bottom of a building, or it can be an organization that collects and gives money for charitable purposes.
It can be used metaphorically to talk about an argument, ‘His argument has no foundation.’ That means it isn’t based on any relevant facts.
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
ethical treatment, ethical behavior,
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences. Choose the correct word and then use the correct form of the word.
- Coastal ______________ is a problem in Australia where some populated areas are increasingly disappearing into the sea. (erode, format)
- This brand of house paint is more ______________ than most; it withstands heat, sun and rain. (duration, erode)
- She started a _______________ for orphans. (ethic, found)
- I need to _______________ this document because the layout doesn’t look right like this. (format, found)
- There is a lot of debate about how to treat animals ______________. (duration, ethic)
Answers (in the wrong order)
5. ethically 3. foundation 2. durable 1. erosion 4. format