If something is ‘integral’ it is a key part of something. A clean water supply is integral to our survival.
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
insight into, insightful about
integral aspect, integral part, integral to
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences. Choose the correct word and then use the correct form of the word.
- Fitness is ______________ bound up in a fireman’s job. (integral, manual)
- The software course is targeted at ______________ level learners. (insight, intermediate)
- Many low-paid _______________ jobs have disappeared from the economy. (manual, inherent)
- There are _______________ risks in investing in that industry. (inherent, intermediate)
- She has had a lot of experience working with older patients and is quite ______________ about their needs. (integral, insight)
Answers (in the wrong order)
5. insightful 3. manual 2. intermediate 1. integrally 4. inherent