‘Sphere’ comes originally from a Greek word meaning ‘ball.’ Synonyms for ‘sphere’ today include ‘ball-shaped’ and ‘globe’ and ‘orb.’
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
dietary supplement, supplemental information
team with, team goals, teamed with
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences. Choose the correct word and then use the correct form of the word.
- The sculpture was quite odd. It was a large ______________ shape with a lightshow coming out from the middle. (sphere, supplement)
- When you buy medicines there is a bit of information on the packaging, but usually there is also a lot of ______________ information inside the pack. (team, supplement)
- Paul was _______________ with Anthony and Luke for this exercise. (subordinate, team)
- Sales of the product were _______________after multiple complaints from the public. (suspend, sphere)
- In previous generations women were considered to be ______________ if they disagreed with their husbands, brothers or fathers. (suspend, subordinate)
Answers (in the wrong order)
5. insubordinate 3. teamed 2. supplementary 1. spherical 4. suspended