A ‘mechanism,’ is a system that enables something to work or to happen.
- The mechanisms for making decisions in my workplace is very autocratic.
- I have an old grandfather clock, but I can’t get the mechanism to work properly.
- We don’t really understand the mechanisms of the brain, it is all a mystery to us.
Collocations: When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
internal investigation, internal aspect
investigation of, an investigation into, to investigate something, investigative reporting
to label something, labeling of
a mechanism for, a mechanism to, mechanistic approach
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Listening: Listen to the sounds of the words.
CLICK to watch video version of today’s vocab.
Complete the sentences below with the correct word and the correct form of the word.
- Her new _______________ involves a lot of travel. (job, investigate)
- There will be an_______________ into the increasing violence on the subway system. (investigate, job)
- People are often unfairly _______________because of their colour, race or religion. (label, internal)
- When she was eight years old, her art teacher told her that she had no talent. She ______________ that and until she was about 30 she believed she had no creativity. (mechanism, internal)
- I can’t use this phone very well. What’s the _______________ for changing the ring tone? (label, mechanism)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
5. mechanism 1. job 2. investigation 4 internalised 3. labelled