‘Parameters,’ are the limits within which something can be done.
- The parameters of the project are too narrow.
- We are limited in what we can do on the website because the coding is quite old and it naturally sets the parameterswithin which we have to work.
- Children are allowed to question their teachers, but only within certain parameters.
Collocations: When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
parallel universe, parallel to, parallel with
parameters related to, parameters of, parameters for
phase in, phase out
prediction about, predict that, predictable outcome, make a prediction
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct word and the correct form of the word.
- Train lines are a classic example of things that are______________ to one another. (parallel, principal)
- Many conflicting _______________are being made about the impact of climate change. (principal, predict)
- When writing an academic paper, there are several _______________ that need to be considered. (parameter, parallel)
- The _______________ reason for the education reforms is the high student absence rates. (phase, principal)
- The new education reforms are being _______________ in over the next three years. (parameter, phase)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
4. principal 5. phased 3. parameters 1. parallel 2. predictions