To successfully read and comprehend a test you need to understand 95% of the vocabulary. Can you understand 95% of the vocabulary in an IELTS reading test?
When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
fundamental to, fundamental plan, fundamentally different, generation gap, generational change, liberal sprinkling, liberal politics, add liberally, liberal thinking
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of the word.
Academic Word List 54
- ______________ changes have been made to airport security since 9/11. (fundamental)
- To _______________ a good income, you generally need a good education to start with. (generate)
- In some cultures the _______________ gap is bigger than it is in other cultures. (generation)
- There are several _______________ to choose from. Which one do you like best? (image)
- For health reasons salt should be added sparingly rather than _______________. (liberal)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
5. liberally 3. generation 2. generate 1. Fundamental 4. images