A ‘category’ is a group.
- A category 5 hurricane recently affected Mexico.
- She is entering a talent contest in the 15 – 18 year old category.
- Consumers fall into several different categories.
- I need to work out how to categorise this information.
Collocations: When you learn new vocab, make sure that you note collocations too. For this group of words some collocations are:
assistance with, assist with, assist someone
Check the meanings of the words if you don’t already know them. Check the meanings of the various forms as sometimes they are different. You can check them at Time4english by clicking the words (http://www.time4english.com/aamain/lounge/awl.asp).
Complete the sentences below with the correct word and the correct form of the word.
- How would you _______________ this? Is it fact or fiction? (category, commission)
- Many people can’t find full time jobs so they work on a _______________. (assist, commission)
- Which ______________ of the IELTS test worries you the most? (aspect, chapter)
- Could you _______________ us with the arrangements for tomorrow? (assist, categorise)
- Which _______________ are you up to in the book? (aspect, chapter)
Answers (in the wrong order below)
5. chapter 3. aspect 2. commission 1. categorise 4. assist